I made these for my friends 21st a couple of weeks ago and they tasted pretty good!
This recipe makes six muffin size cupcakes.
For the cakes…..
115g self raising flour
½ tsp baking powder
115g caster sugar
grated rind of 1 orange
For the icing…..
175g icing sugar
grated rind of ½ orange
red food colouring
yellow food colouring
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4 and put 6 muffin cases in a muffin tray. I used some lovely ones from Splat Cooking, but you should know that even though they look fantastic, they make the cakes a lot harder to ice!
2. Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl.
3. Whisk the eggs together in a mug using a fork and then add gradually to the mixing bowl. Beat each time you add more egg.
4. Add the orange rind.
5. Sift the flour if needed and then fold gently into the mixture.
6. Share out the mixture evenly into the muffin cases and then bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
7. To make the icing, cream the butter and then gradually mix in the icing sugar. Separate the icing into two bowls and then add the red food colouring to one bowl and the yellow to the other.
8. Put the icing into an icing bag – one spoon of red then one spoon of yellow etc to give the icing a marbled effect. Decorate the cakes however you like. I did some swirly patterns and then topped the cakes with glitter. Remember to wait for the cakes to cool before you try to ice them.