For my latest batch of cupcakes I thought I’d be a bit more inventive so went for a slightly out there flavour combination. It sounds weird but does taste good, I promise!
This recipe makes 6 large muffin size cupcakes.
For the cakes…..
115g self raising flour
½ tsp baking powder
115g caster sugar
grated rind of 1 orange
6 cardamom pods
For the icing…..
175g icing sugar
few drops of vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4 and put 6 muffin cases in a muffin tray.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl.
3. Whisk the eggs together in a mug using a fork and then add gradually to the mixing bowl. Beat each time you add more egg.
4. Add the orange rind. Squash the cardamom pods with the flat of a knife to get all of the seeds out and then add these to the mixture.
5. Sift the flour if needed and then fold gently into the mixture along with the baking powder.
6. Share out the mixture evenly into the muffin cases and then bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
7. To make the icing, cream the butter with the vanilla extract and then gradually mix in the icing sugar. It’s best to add the icing sugar gradually, otherwise it takes forever to mix!
8. I used an icing bag for applying the icing but you don’t need to do that. I also topped them with Shimmer Sugar from Dr Oetker and, of course, some edible glitter!