I made these cupcakes over the weekend. They were a bit of an experiment because I wanted to try out some food colouring paste my housemate had leant me. I didn’t really have many of the ingredients for the actual Orange & Cranberry Cupcakes recipe I found so I made my own version…… They worked well though and Nick said they were the best I’ve made in a while! I’m definitely going to get some food colouring pastes – they are so much better than the liquid stuff!
For the cakes…..
115g self raising flour
½ tsp baking powder
115g golden caster sugar
Zest of one orange
100g dried cranberries
1 tsp ground cinnamon
For the icing…..
200g icing sugar
Zest of ½ orange
Purple food colouring
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4 and put 6 muffin cases in a mufffin tray.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl.
3. Whisk the eggs together in a mug using a fork and then add gradually to the mixing bowl, beating after each addition.
5. Mix in the orange zest, cinnamon and cranberries.
6. Fold in the flour gently.
7. Share out the mixture evenly into the cases and then bake for 20 to 25minutes.
8. To make the icing, cream the butter and then gradually mix in the icing sugar. Finally mix in the orange zest.
9. Once the cakes are cool, pipe or dollop the icing on top.