Here is the recipe for some cupcakes I made this weekend – banana cupcakes with Nutella icing. I wouldn’t normally have chosen to make banana cake but I had some left which had too many brown spots to eat so thought this would be a good way to use them up! I decided to use Nutella in the icing because I love Nutella and banana on toast so thought that it could taste even better in cake form!
For the cakes…..
115g self raising flour
½ tsp baking powder
60g golden caster sugar
60g caster sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 large banana, mashed
1tsp mixed spice
For the icing…..
200g icing sugar
1 tbsp Nutella
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4 and put 6 muffin cases in a muffin tray.
2. Cream the margarine and sugar in a mixing bowl until fluffy.
3. Gradually add the eggs to the mixture, beating after each addition.
4. Mix in the mashed banana and spice.
5. Fold in the flour gently, with the baking powder.
6. Share out the mixture evenly into the cases and then bake for 20 to 25minutes.
7. To make the icing, cream the butter and then gradually mix in the icing sugar. Lastly add the Nutella.
8. Once the cakes are cool, pipe or dollop the icing on top.